We were talking about the Marleigh Exclusion Principle at lunch today, so I thought it was worth codifying all the rules. :)
The Official Protocols of Lunch
- Lunch is called for by sending an instant message to Laura. Laura then sends a message to regular lunch-goers. (If it is after 1:30pm, Marleigh is not notified because she will already have starved to death). Laura acts as the broker to see who is coming and when they can leave.
- Anyone is allowed to call for lunch. However, Laura only notifies regular lunch-goers (that is, Mike and Marleigh). One can self-promote to regular lunch-goer by going to lunch most of the time, or can self-promote to temporary regular lunch-goer by saying earlier in the morning "I want to go to lunch today!"
- People coming to lunch meet at Laura's office in N42. From there, the group proceeds to the Rolly Place, unless
- the Marleigh Exclusion Principle (Marleigh is in the group AND Marleigh went to the Rolly place yesterday) is in effect, in which case Marleigh picks where we're going.
- OR someone else decrees that we're going somewhere else
- Mike is in charge of deciding who is a regular enough lunch-goer to be issued lunchbucks. Lunchbucks are valid currency for all lunches, public and private. The most important factors affecting who is paying for lunch and who is using lunchbucks are who has the fewest lunchbucks, and who has cash on hand. Whose lunch cost how much is not germane.
- Overtipping is required at the Rolly Place.
- Going to Harvard Square, or other Adventurous Plans, for lunch requires advanced notice.