November 2nd, 2012

knit

Extra Epic Sock Project

These are probably the most re-doing I've done on a single project in a while.

First, I had some sort of terrible measurement failure trying to measure my "toe to anklebone" length (that's not one of the more standard sock measurements, I don't think) - you have to use that to determine where the tail of the snake starts. But then the first sock came out really really short, after I had turned the heel, and I didn't think desireearmfeldt's feet were that much smaller than mine, so I ripped back and put some more length in. (Except that I clearly put in way too much length, but we'll get to that). Going around the back of the ankle, the snake travels sideways pretty fast, and the tension I was knitting at, the fabric under the snake bunched in. It was okay being worn, because everything stretches, but it looked ugly. So I ripped that back and added another row of snake each time it skipped a stich, which made it look a lot nicer. Then when I finally finished both of them and blocked them, I decided that it was just too long. (The heel is a little weird so I wasn't sure before). So I dithered for a while, and finally cut out about an inch and grafted everything back together again. Marvel at my Kitchener stitch, mathhobbit!

Anyway. They're definitely epic, but even after the fixes, there are some issues. I find the heel and toe, with the branching papyrus, a little weird-fitting. Too much increasing over too few stitches leads to weird tension, at least for me. And the little "headdress" snake head at the top doesn't seem to bend down the way it should, in my test wearing. And I am really bad at sewing snapz into knitting (which will be a problem for the sweater of ilhander's that I need to fix). But... I adore the snake, curving around the foot. I think I may have to make another pair with just the snake.